Thursday, June 30, 2016

Why I had to Redefine These Two Words and Lessons Learnt



When last year one of my blogger friends went on a blogging relapse, I took it upon myself to urge her back. Her cranky, witting and self expressive writing style was something I didn’t want the world to miss. I did well, she got back some months later.

Just like this my blogger friend, I too soon went on a blogging relapse. In fact, I have been technically offline since October last year though this same time has been my most ‘online time’ the most. I appreciate all those that visited while I was on this blogging hiatus.

My absence made me think to the point that I had to redefine two words I discovered were my real problems. Here are my thoughts and conclusions.

    1.    The value of consistency and
    2.    The redefinition of ‘being busy’.

Let me begin with point 2 – the redefinition of ‘being busy’. Before you crucify me, let me ask you this, what do you understand by being busy? I’m guessing you’ll say to be uber engaged in one activity or the other. You are very correct, but sorry, you are wrong. If you are actively engaged doing something that doesn’t add to your bottom line (end outcome) be it in finance, health, spirituality, relationship, career etc you are actually only whiling away time – aka time wasting. You are not busy, just wasting aware. 

So what am I driving? Bottom line. The end of a thing justifies the starting and process. Being busy is to be engaged in an activity that improves the end outcome of whatever was started – even if you are not entirely worked up about it. The reverse of being busy is time wasting (which is closely related to patience the theme of my next post).

The second is the value of Consistency. Show me a man consistent in his ways and I’ll show you a man who will go places – even if he is consistent in the wrong things. One of my Achilles heels is consistency. Yes I confess, I have consistency issues and I’m working hard at changing. These few days, nay months of blogging relapse really taught me how powerfully disastrous inconsistency can get.

Here is how I define consistency. Consistency means staying true to whatever you commit yourself to. Consistency is an outward manifestation of integrity. You may have integrity without consistency but never consistency without integrity.

As I look to the days ahead and my renewed hunger to throw out thought jabs and blows (big ups to Ali), I look forward to overcoming my fears and weaknesses and churning out thoughts that’ll help me and you my readers.

Key Take Homes
Consistency is an outward manifestation of integrity (tweet this)
Show me a man consistent in his ways and I’ll show you a man who will go places - even if it's in the wrong things.
The end of a thing justifies the starting and process of that thing.

Image Credit: simplelifestrategies.com



In case, you may find this interesting as well 



No comments:

Post a Comment