Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Interview with Adejoke Adewuyi, a First Class French Graduate of University of Lagos (UNILAG)

Joke Adewuyi, a French graduate
Hello dear readers, today's post is a bit different, I am conducting an interview with a French scholar from one of Nigeria's top university. She studied French language, a course that many admission seekers in Nigeria won't love to settle for. Read her story.

Hello Joke, how are you doing, thank you for honouring our request for this interview.
 I am glad and equally grateful for the opportunity to share my story.

Can we meet you
I am Adejoke Motunrayo Adewuyi, a French graduate from the prestigious University of Lagos
 how was it like studying French seeing that Nigeria is not a francophone country?
(hmm) it was very challenging, infact in the beginning I had great fears, a lot of questions ran through my mind, but I thank God that today it is a different story
What kind of fears, can you share with us?
fears of coping with the various courses since they are art related and I was a science student, you know courses like History, Literature and the likes.
That leads me to my next question, why French?
(hmm) it was a redirection and it is divine. I actually wanted to study medicine, but all efforts to gain admission proved abortive. It was not that I did not pass the exams, I did pass them well but I was never given the admission. I then settled down to pray and that was how the redirection came.
You must be a very spiritual woman. Did UNILAG meet or exceed your expectations?
yes in a way, Unilag did meet my expectations.
How were you able to make such a shift in area of study since you were science, especially in such short time?
I would thank God first in this because he really helped me. Secondly I was very determined and I worked hard. I made up my mind to be the one of the best and God helped me.
Thank God for his faithfulness, what activities were you involved in while in school?
I was a member of the French club
Any other
I used to act stage drama, sing and recite poems in French. I was involved in spiritual activities as well and yeah, I worked too
Wow, tell us one play you acted – a summary
Ok, ‘Trois pretendants, un mari’ by Guillaume Oyono Mbia. It is a drama. ‘Three suitors, one husband’. Funny enough, I acted a male role –the village chief. We didn’t have enough males.
What kind of work was it and how did you balance everything?
I worked as a partime French teacher in two schools, as a home lesson teacher and also as work/study participant on campus
That’s terrific and very industrious, you must be very hardworking
A lot of people tell me so, I don’t just believe in idleness
And beautiful as well, you could pass for a pageant queen
(smiles), thank you
What is the career prospect for French graduate like you in Nigeria?
There are a lot of them, teaching, banking, tourism, administrative capacities in international organisations etc. But there is a problem, apart from teaching or lecturing, one might need to get additional qualification to boost his/her certificate.
What are the challenges of studying French or a foreign language in a Nigerian University
The first challenge is the environment. Nigeria is Anglophone; therefore the platform to practice what you are being taught in the class is not really there. Second, it’s the issue of audio visual equipment. Since the environment does not offer a favourable platform, good audio visuals ought to be put in place to enhance students’ listening, comprehension and oral abilities.
So what did you graduate with?
By the grace of God, I graduated with a First Class.
 you must be a scholar, what was your motivation
(inhales) firstly, there were people who had graduated with first class in my department, though they were few. So I told myself, if those ones could achieve it, then I can do likewise and even more. Another motivating factor were my parents. They believed so much in me and I was determined not to let them down. There also was a man of God I respect so much, he finished with a first class and I told myself “if he could with all the spiritual activities and other things he was involved with, then I can achieve same feat”.
The man of God graduated from my school, he is Dr D. K Olukoya, the G. O of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries.
So what are you doing now and what is next for Joke
Well I just returned from my Youth Service. I am currently processing my Masters (M.A) programme. Before then I will be working on some of my unfinished literary works.
Any advice for our readers
My advice for them is that they should acknowledge God first in all you do because with him you can never miss it. Secondly put in your best because anything worth doing at all is worth doing well.
We hear you are also the CEO of a small company, La Lumiere. Tell us about it.
Yes I am, it’s called La Lumiere , it is s language consultancy firm. It handles every issue pertaining to language for both individuals, private and public organisations. We offer both French and English services. Our services include translation, writing, editing, public speaking, teaching of French language, and training of French teachers. La Lumiere is also into supplies of language materials for schools
 
Thank you so much, how can people contact you
For now I can be reached on Facebook Joke Adewuyi  , adewuyijoke9 on Twitter and Adejoke Adewuyi  on Linkedin. I am hoping to break into the blogging scene very soon as well by launching a site for LaLumiere.

Joke, it was so nice to have you here. Thanks for telling us about yourself and your goals. Best of luck! Readers, thanks for joining us as well, and if you would like to encourage Joke in her goals, please send her a message. 

Thanks for stopping by!

POST YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
5 Simple Ways To Learn A Skill Without Paying A Dime

One More Thing We Can Learn From SuperHeroes on Self Discovery

No comments:

Post a Comment